Skip to main content

The BSA (Now Scouts BSA or Something Like That) Needs to be more accepting.



 Citizens of the World,

Would you agree that Boy Scouts, or Scouting, or whatever you wish to call it, must accept openly atheist and agnostic scouts? Their membership is on the decline so it would be logical to permit open atheists and open agnostics to be members, but no, they are an organization requiring religion involving a deity or higher power, and I am ashamed to be a member of it. I intend to move on through life, and announce my atheism in College, mailing a letter to my current troop informing them of my atheism. It is abhorrent that one must have faith in a deity to be a member of an organization, especially one that claims to build character and develop important skills such as how to cook, or use tools. It's sad to make such a group exclusive of non-religious people, it also doesn't accept people of eastern religions which lack a deity.  Let's end this practice, try to join scouts as an atheist if you are one when they refuse to let you join, say you don't want to be a part of an organization that forces ignorance upon young children through religion, let's make the BSA change for a modern world, accept science, and teach scouts think critically.

Yours in Politics and Reality,
   D
   Moderate Liberal
   Agnostic Atheist
   Running Enthusiast
   LGBT+ Ally

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5 Questions Atheists Cannot Answer (Answered)

Hello All,    Sorry I haven't posted in a while, between running and schoolwork I've been busier than normal, so here's a new post. So, SJ Thompson, a religious apologist, specifically Christian, has posted 5 questions for atheists, this post is from May of last year, but I just found it today perusing the black hole of doom, gloom, and depression that is the internet.  So her first question is, " So, why do even individualists know that we ought to help the weak, feed the poor, and be honest, humble, just, cooperative, empathetic, forgiving and loving? Why is it that all societies, regardless of their practices, know what we   ought   to do? Where did we get this moral compass?" My answer is a quote from the Greater Good Magazine run by UC Berkley, " We are so used to empathy that we take it for granted, yet it is essential to human society as we know it. Our morality depends on it: How could anyone be expected to follow the golden rule without the ...

My Take on the Pa State House Invocation

Hello All,      I'm sure that most if not all of you have read about or heard about the situation that occurred in the Pa State Legislature. I've refrained from comment so far so as it enables me to fully comprehend the intricate nature of this situation.    My objection to the invocation is a legal one. Although I am of the opinion that the invocation shouldn't have happened in the first place, as it proselytized the Christian faith to those who may not share said religious convictions, or to those who hold no religious convictions at all. However, the invocation happened… so it goes. Alex Luchenitser, associate legal director for Americans United for Separation of Church and State said, “Opening prayers should be inclusive and respectful to the whole community, They should never be divisive. They should not proselytize. ” I agree with Mr. Luchenitser’s assessment of what an invocation should be, if it even happens. Here are a few quotes support...

Why America Isn't the Greatest Country in the World

Hello All,       I am quite aware of the consequences of this post, as it is inflammatory in nature, I  will add as a disclaimer that I am an American citizen and have lived in the country for my entire life. While few are willing to admit it, America is not the greatest country in the world. It has the 3rd largest labor force as of 2017 per the CIA world factbook. The country is 122nd in industrial production growth rate at 2.3%. It is 125th in literacy, 29th in math and science. The country is 6th in median household income. The country is 24th in military expenditures compared to GDP. The country is 2nd in exports. America is not the greatest country in the world anymore, and if you think that I don’t know what the fuck you’re talking about- Yosemite? We sure used to be, we fought wars to protect freedom, passed and struck down laws for moral reasons, cared about the world, we reached for the stars and went to the moon! We wiped out diseases...